Thyroid Awareness Challenge
We, as a community have pushed ourselves out of the thyroid closet in numerous ways: Wearing My Disease On My Sleeve, every Dear Thyroid letter we write to our thyroids, our Thyrants, and other literary things. We have committed ourselves to community outreach for offline support via telephone and in person. We’ve worked with other thyroid bloggers, participated in Patients for a Moment, the blog carnival, and we’re all supporting Wings of Hope as they race for a cure for thyroid cancers.
In case you haven’t noticed, ahem, we all have rather strong opinions that we aren’t afraid to debate, share and run with. Each member of this community demonstrates fearlessness in ways that I am in constant awe of.
I am calling upon each of us to bring in 2010 with a thybang to create awareness for a disease that is the step child of the endocrine system. I receive hundreds of emails from people monthly too afraid to speak up on our site or our forums about their disease and who need support – our thyamily.
The Thyroid Awareness Challenge:
- Tell 10 people about a thyroid, where it is and what it does
- Of those 10, if they have a thyroid disorder or know somebody who has one, let’s ask them to join our forums and share their stories with us. This disease is terribly isolating, let’s un-isolate them.
- Invite them to write a Dear Thyroid letter and to join us on Facebook and Twitter
- Make sure each person with a thyroid disorder knows that they aren’t alone.
- Send in a paragraph of your findings by Saturday, January 2nd and we will post them on Sunday, January 3rd.
I know we can do this. I believe in our thymunnity. I believe that together we can invoke more change. What do you say, are you with me?
Finally, if you haven’t joined the forums, please do. Share your stories and get involved. Hit the suggestion box for topics you’d like to see posted. The more we speak up and out, the less alone we feel.
Tags: do you know what a thyroid does, do you know where a thyroid is, thyroid autoimmune diseases awareness, Thyroid awareness, thyroid cancers awareness, thyroid diseases awareness, thyroid disorders awareness