It’s Not About Me, It’s About WE
Last month I wrote an article called Full Lips, Curvy Breasts And The Tightest Little Thyroid You’ve Ever Seen.
Aside from supporting each other as we find our way through the Gland Canyon to reinvent ourselves; another core goal we have as a thyamily, is to create AWARENESS.
Thyroid diseases and thyroid cancers do not receive the kind of funding for education, prevention, or awareness, much less a cure, which they so rightly deserve. Similarly, we want better treatment, improved health care, and for our doctors to be held accountable for their actions.
We do not have celebrity endorsements. We do not have major sponsors backing our endeavors. Therefore, the onus rests with us to spearhead an unprecedented grassroots campaign.
Collectively, our voices are heard on Dear Thyroid. Every time we write letters to and from our thyroids, we scream at the top of our lungs, This is what my thyroid is doing to me. This is not working. This is what I have endured as a patient. I have been through 15 doctors and I still don’t have a diagnosis. I can’t get the medication I need because my health insurance won’t cover it, and so on and so forth.
A good friend of Dear Thyroid @Greetums nominated Dear Thyroid in the Health Category for a Shorty Award. Though, it’s under my name, it’s irrelevant because it’s not about me, it’s about us. This award is an opportunity for us to continue our grassroots effort to invoke change and make people aware of thyroid diseases and thyroid cancers.
If you’re on Twitter, vote. If you aren’t on Twitter, create an account, it takes a minute, and vote.
Your answer to the question, “#Health Because…”
- You want funding for thyroid cancer.
- You want a cure for thyroid cancer.
- You want a cure for thyroid autoimmune disease.
- You want funding for education.
- You want your doctors to treat you as more than the sum of your numbers.
- You want improved health care.
- You have Hashimoto’s.
- You have Graves’ disease.
- You have Graves’ Opthalmopathy.
- You were born without a thyroid.
- You had a thyroidectomy.
- You have thyroid cancer.
- You had thyroid cancer.
- You want preventative education for thyroid diseases and thyroid cancers.
- You want to create awareness for a disease that is perceived as the step child of the endocrine system, and you have fucking had it!
Whatever your reasons, vote; for change, for hope, for awareness, for a new beginning and for possibilities.
You can vote every day. Here’s the link to vote: http://shortyawards.com/katieschwartz. Pass it along to your friends and ask them to vote today and every day. Speak up and out about your because.
Together we can do anything!